A short survey was conducted online to assess the impact of COVID on businesses in the area, their response to it and the support they now need to move forwards.
The survey was open from 20/10/2020 to 31/10/2020.
On average it took 1 min 3 secs to complete.
60 responses were received, broken down as shown:
All respondent businesses were in Devon.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The sample size is small and the results should be viewed as a snapshot rather than a statistically significant assessment of businesses.
- 2 tourism businesses were forced to close as a result of COVID
- 16 businesses not significantly affected
- 35 had already made changes or were in the process of doing so (58%)
- 5 were uncertain about the changes that were needed
- All community and food & drink businesses had already made changes
- 34 businesses would like free/subsidized support to make changes as a result of COVID (60% of businesses that responded to the question)
- All types of businesses were interested in support, especially farms (77%) and food & drink (83%) businesses.
QUOTES FROM BUSINESSES
“Bed and Breakfast closed. Self catering closed. Weddings closed. The Farm is all we have been able to continue”
“We have begun replacing our old static website with an eCommerce site”
“Covid closed our tourist services … Contract engineering continued … Supply chains are being disrupted which is beginning to have an effect on this side of business … we will be a leaner organisation. We have had to make redundancies.”
“I had to close fully but am now open with limited numbers.”
“I have had to close my business premises and take my business and work from home.”