Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme Portal Now OPEN
The application system for the new scheme that allows employers to claim a grant for 80% of employee wages has now opened. (From 20th April 2020)
Jim Harra, chief executive and HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), confirmed the date for the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme website during a meeting of the Treasury Committee. He said the first payments through the system will be made by 30 April.
Harra revealed that the portal is being tested by a small group of employers and that the government is “confident it will be able to cope with the very large number of claims we expect to receive”. It has been tested up to a volume of 450,000 claims an hour, he said.
In addition the government have moved the cut-off date by 3 weeks. Previously workers had to be on an employer’s PAYE payroll on or before 28th February. But in a statement, published on Wednesday, the government said it would extend the “unprecedented” package to cover those who were on their employees’ payroll by 19 March.
You can find further information about the Job Retention Scheme on the .Gov website – https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme